Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I GOT A CAR!!!!

For those of you who are avid followers of my blog and have been in a state of consternation because there has been no post yet this week, I remind you that (1) Monday was a holiday in Canada (so we move P-day ahead one day), and (2) this week was also our transfer week (so we move P-day ahead another day).  This is why the post doesn't come up until today.  But it's worth the wait. 

So... transfers came and went, and I still reside at 52 Mabelle Ave.  

BUT I GOT A CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Do you think I am excited at all?  I am very excited. It is a beautiful little thing, a 2013 Chevy Cruze. I am the first person to really drive it.  It's the nicest car I've ever driven, as a matter of fact. 

I'm not less excited about this, but I'll spare you the exclamation points.... I also got a new companion:) Her name is Sister Mitchell, and she is from St George, UT. She came out with me actually, but I didn't know her at all because I came out with 28 sisters. Sister Mitchell went to Dixie and studied English literature (which is awesome) and is 23 years old. She is the oldest of five children and is the second to serve a mission (her younger brother just returned home from a mission in Spokane).  She is laid back like me, which is great, so we get along well so far.  We're still getting to know each other, but I think it'll be a really good transfer!!  
The last photo of Sister Arksey and me together. 
We had a luncheon with the Murphys
in their backyard the day before transfers. 
It was a romantic family gathering. 


It's really difficult to even remember what happened this week, since it lasted SO DANG LONG. I thought I was going to die going a week and a half between P-days, but apparently Heavenly Father doesn't want me to die on my mission, because he helped me get to this point today.  


This week on Sunday, Orlando was confirmed a member of the church, and received the gift of the Holy Ghost. This was one of the more powerful and sacred experiences of my mission so far. Orlando had requested our old Bishop to confirm him, and in his blessing he was promised some incredible things.  It was amazing to hear the plans that Heavenly Father has for Orlando, a 61-year-old man who is legally blind, who thought there wasn't much more to his life-- How wrong he was! There is so much more potential that Orlando has left to fulfill, and I am so grateful that I was able to help Orlando come closer to learning the plans that his Father has for him in this life, and for the life after this one.  


One of our investigators, Madou.
He's from a place in Africa called Bakinau
(I butchered that spelling, but I can't google it, sorry).
He's awesome, and we had way too much fun with the camera.
So I turn 21 in two days, and I'm pretty excited about it.  I got so excited about it, that I colored the page in my planner on May 24th with confetti and balloons.  I know, I go all out, right? :)  I did leave the cards and the wrapped presents I have so far received wrapped, to try to make my birthday as exciting as can be. We also have District Meeting on Friday, so I told my district leader that it was my birthday so he could "plan accordingly"... But I doubt anything will come of that. Some people just don't take hints quite as well as I think they should :)

As designated driver of our amazing new car and as the veteran missionary in Etobicoke South, I feel a lot more responsibility now since I am the only one who knows all the people in our teaching pool etc. It is quite a strange feeling: both liberating and frantic, really.  But this is all part of the mission experience, right?  


A photo of Sister Arksey and me with
Jane, Joshua and the family they live with.
They live with a member named Rosalyn
and her mother, Evelyn. They're from the Philippines.
Jen is planning on being baptized this week, which is very exciting! She is pregnant, and we are having to be quite creative about HOW exactly to baptize her since she cannot bend backwards. I think we're going with the chair method. Which involves sitting her in a chair in the font, and tipping in backwards until she is immersed. Don't ask me how exactly that will work, because I don't know. Neither does anyone else. But apparently now that I'm in charge (and I am the designated driver, after all) I'm supposed to have all the answers.  False.  I do not.  So it might be another gong show baptism.  But it should be fine, because the only request Jen had for her baptism was that we have lasagna and caesar salad.  The woman is so set on those two delicacies that she prayed for them twice in her prayer on Tuesday.  So regardless as to whether or not the chair falls and the font floods over and whatever else could go wrong, I'm confident that if I secure some lasagna and caesar salad, she'll have a testimony that God loves her.  So that's my plan.  I think Arksey would be proud :)


I love you all and miss you tremendously! I am so happy that I stayed here in Etobicoke! There is a lot of work for me to do here, and I do it happily so that others can know of the joy that this gospel brings. Please stay safe!

Sister Hutchings


 

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER HUTCHINGS!!!!!!!! We love you!

    ReplyDelete